16.1.03

It's so pure white! I do love to look at newly-fallen snow. It seems to be the epitome of silence. I kept waiting for it to start snowing last night, but I dosed off before I could see the first flakes. Sleeping last night was bliss! You must know that feeling of anticipation, like there's a secret or a promise in the air--like before Christmas or your birthday--and then wake up inexplicably excited until you remember what it is you were waiting for. And today, that promise was fulfilled, for behold: SNOW! The word "cavort" comes to mind for some reason. I almost wish I were 8 again, when all of my closest friends lived on my block and we would automatically gather in the cul-de-sac for The Best Snow War Of All Time. Afterwards we would play with the tiny marshmallows in the hot chocolate that we had begged off of Joanna's mom, getting our fingers impossibly sticky. We never really drank it, though, because none of us really liked hot chocolate anyway. It was just expected of us. Now, everybody lives within a 10-mile instead of 10-yard radius and snow days are no longer days for childish fun. The last few snow days I can remember I have spent with my little sister, playing with my long-forgotten American Girl doll, pursuing messy art "experiments" and taking naps on the couch...It would be great to have a portable friend who you could just pull out of a box and play Pacheesi with.
I woke up this morning with a clear head for the first time in almost a week, and now I am in the best mood. Feeling really crappy really makes you appreciate being healthy and energetic....I think I will bake cookies today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home